Skip to main content
Anime and Video Theater
This is what we showed at Arisia 2020.
- 4:00 PM - Tenchi Universe (Episodes 1-4)
- Ordinary teenager Tenchi Masaki finds his life turned upside down when a space pirate Ryoko, space princess Ayeka, and galactic police officer Mihoshi come crashing into his life. Screened in Japanese with English subtitles. (1995, TV-14)
- 5:45 PM - FLCL Part 1 (Episodes 1-3)
- 12-year-old Naota Nandaba's life in the city of Mabase is interrupted by the arrival of a Vespa-riding maniac named Haruko Haruhara, who draws him into a world of galactic intrigue and robots. Screened in Japanese with English subtitles. (2000-2001, TV-14)
- 7:45 PM - Captain Marvel
- Set in the 1990s, Marvel Studios' Captain Marvel follows the journey of Carol Danvers as she becomes one of the universe's most powerful heroes. While a galactic war between two alien races reaches Earth, Danvers finds herself and a small cadre of allies at the center of the maelstrom. (2019, PG-13)
- 10:00 PM - Edward Scissorhands
- In Tim Burton's 1990 breakout film. Johnny Depp plays an artificial man named Edward, an unfinished creation who has scissor blades instead of hands. The young man is taken in by a suburban family and falls in love with their teenage daughter Kim (Winona Ryder). (1990, PG-13)
- 11:45 PM - Rollerball
- A movie about men fighting while racing on roller skates. Much better than "Starlight Express". (1975, R)
- 2:00 AM - Room Closed
- You're still here?
- 8:00 AM - Animaniacs
- Warner Brothers' anarchic 1990s TV masterpiece abounds with falling anvils, pop culture parodies, megalomaniac lab mice, and more. (1993-1998, TV-Y7)
- 10:00 AM - Ducktales: The Treasure of the Golden Suns Arc
- Marked by its spot-on blend of adventure, humor, and high quality animation, Disney's Ducktales kicked off the renaissance of high-quality TV cartoons of the 80s and 90s. In this initial pilot arc, Donald Duck's nephews are sent to live with their Uncle Scrooge, where they discover a model ship that contains a map to a treasure. (1987, TV-G)
- 12:00 PM - Mushi-shi
- Ginko is a "Mushi-shi" who travels around to investigate and find out more about the "Mushi", strange creatures which resemble the primeval body of life. In the process, he also lends a helping hand to people who face problems with supernatural occurrences which may be related to the "Mushi". Screened in Japanese with English subtitles (2005, TV-14)
- 2:00 PM - FLCL Part 2 (Episodes 4-6)
- Naota's life keeps getting stranger as robots keep popping out of his head and the forces of the sinister Medical Mechanica start to make their move. Screened in Japanese with English subtitles. (2000-2001, TV-14)
- 4:00 PM - Godzilla vs Destroyah
- Godzilla's heart, which acts as a nuclear reactor, is nearing a nuclear meltdown which threatens the Earth. Meanwhile, a colony of mutated creatures known as Destoroyah emerge from the ocean, changing form and terrorizing Japan, forcing the Japanese Self-Defense Forces to devise a plan to eliminate both threats. Screened in Japanese with English subtitles (1995, NR)
- 5:45 PM - X-Men (2000)
- Charles Xavier and his X-Men fight to save the world from the mutant supremacist Magneto and his Brotherhood of Mutants. (2000, PG-13)
- 7:30 PM - Real Genius
- Teenage genius Mitch (Gabriel Jarret) and his slacker roommate Chris (Val Kilmer) are assigned to develop a high-powered laser for a university project. When their professor intends to turn their work into a military weapon, they decide to ruin his plans. (1985, PG)
- 9:30 PM - Ad Astra
- Astronaut Roy McBride (Brad Pitt) undertakes a mission across an unforgiving solar system to uncover the truth about his missing father (Tommy Lee Jones) and his doomed expedition that now, 30 years later, threatens the universe. (2019, PG-13)
- 11:45 PM - Waterworld
- The ice caps have melted and the planet is covered with water. Kevin Costner plays a mariner trying to help a woman and her daughter find a safe place to live. (1995, R)
- 2:00 AM - Room Closed
- It's over.
- 8:00 AM - Emperor's New Groove
- Incan Emperor Kuzco is young and self-centered, earning the contempt of his advisers, who transform him into a llama. Kuzco's quest to regain his human form will require him to reevaluate his behavior and treatment of those around him. An animated comedy from Disney featuring the voices of David Spade, John Goodman, Eartha Kitt, and Patrick Warburton, plus singing by Sting. (2000, G).
- 9:30 AM - Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Summer Vacation
- Warner Bros.' Tiny Toons are out of school and ready for a summer of fun. But fun comes with plenty of ups and downs including a flooded neighborhood, an escaped convict, hungry animals in hot pursuit, and a conveniently-placed plot hole. Packed with parodies of celebrities and pop culture trends of its time, including other cartoons, this was one of the USA's top-selling videos the summer of its release. (1992, NR).
- 11:00 AM - Pinky and the Brain
- What are two enhanced lab mice to do with their artificially boosted mental faculties? Watch The Brain hatch diabolical plans to take over the world, only to be repeatedly foiled by the bumbling but friendly Pinky in this popular spinoff from Animaniacs, featuring humor often aimed at adults. (1995-1998, G).
- 12:30 PM - The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
- High school student Makoto Konno stumbles upon a device from the future and gains the ability to leap short distances through time. At first uses it to make things easy and convenient for herself, Makoto realizes that her time-leaps have consequences for others and she races to put things right before the power runs out for good. The first of three films from Director Mamoru Hosoda to win the Japan Academy Prize for Animation of the Year. (2006, PG). Screened in Japanese with English subtitles
- 2:15 PM - Outlaw Star
- The adventures of Captain Starwind and his crew as they search for a mythical galactic treasure horde aboard their ship, the Outlaw Star. First, they'll have to contend with rival bounty hunters, a scientist bent on using the treasure to gain superpowers, and an organization of assassins. All are headed for an explosive confrontation in the place known as the Galactic Leyline. (1998, TV-14). Screened in Japanese with English subtitles
- 4:30 PM - Ultraman (1966)
- Science Patrolman Hayata gains the ability to transform into oversized superhero Ultraman in order to save the world from a weekly onslaught of invading aliens and monsters. Screened in Japanese with English subtitles (1966, NR)
- 6:30 PM - Dragonslayer
- When Vermithrax Perjorative, a 400 year old dragon with a taste for maidens sets his sights on the king's daughter, an old wizard, and his keen young apprentice volunteer to kill the dragon before he can collect. (1981, PG)
- 8:30 PM - 12 Monkeys
- In Terry Gilliam's neo-noir time travel classic, a convict is sent back in time to gather information about the man-made virus that wiped out most of the human population on the planet. (1995, R)
- 10:45 PM - Return of the Living Dead
- In Dan O'Bannon's horror-comedy classic, a bumbling pair of employees at a medical supply warehouse accidentally release a deadly gas into the air, causing the dead to re-animate as they go on a rampage through Louisville, Kentucky in search of their favorite food, BRAINS. (1985, R)
- 12:15 AM - Tank Girl
- Tank Girl and her friends travel through post-apocalyptic Australia, fighting the evil Water and Power megacorporation and being generally badass. Critically derided at the time of it's release, Tank Girl has nonetheless become a cult favorite. (1995, R)
- 2:00 AM - Room Closed
- Go home. Go.
- 8:00 AM - Lilo and Stitch
- Disney's 2002 animated feature about the adventures of a Hawaiian girl who befriends an alien creature called Experiment 626, a.k.a. Stitch, received an Academy Award Nomination for Best Animated Feature, losing to Spirited Away. Voice cast includes Daveigh Chase (The Ring, Donnie Darko), Ving Rhames, and Jason Scott Lee. (2002, PG).
- 9:30 AM - Tenchi Universe (Episodes 5-8)
- In the middle section of Tenchi Universe's "Earth Adventure" arc, Galaxy Police Detectives Mihoshi and Kiyone are assigned to earth, where they must work odd jobs to make a living while keeping themselves ready to be called into action by the Galaxy Police and tangling with the mad scientist Washu. (1995, NR). Screened in Japanese with English subtitles.
- 11:15 AM - Audience Choice
- Did we show something you wanted to see while you were asleep? Is there something that you just HAVE to see again? We will run any of the movies listed for this weekend. You must arrive at 11:15 AM in order to cast your vote. Movie will begin promptly at 11:30 AM after setup and preparation.
- 1:30 PM - Room Closed